Category Archives: sebastian duterte

Baste Duterte vows stricter liquor ban following bar shooting

DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte said Monday he will impose stricter liquor ban guidelines following a shooting that occurred outside a bar here and resulted in the death of a 21-year-old student.

“We will impose stricter measures in our implementation of the liquor ban so that we can avoid such incidents from happening. It is because when people are intoxicated with alcohol, bad things can happen at any point in time,” Duterte said in an interview.

Around Saturday midnight, policemen arrested a non-uniformed police personnel accused of shooting dead a student following a heated argument inside a bar. READ MORE

PRRD calls for unity amid calamities

Despite skipping his visit to this earthquake-stricken town on Friday, President Rodrigo Duterte told the affected individuals in Davao del Sur to unite and rise to the challenges of last year.

earthquake victims padada

“Let me remind the people that you are not alone and everyone is here to help. It pains me to hear the stories of suffering and I express my heartfelt sympathies and condolences over the loss of lives brought by the earthquake,” the President said in his message to the residents of Malalag and Padada towns delivered by Davao City Vice Mayor Sebastian.
He also said the government’s priority is to ensure that rebuilding efforts in Mindanao are completed as soon as possible.
“Rest assured that we will continue to exert our efforts until all of you are able to recover and get back on your feet,” Duterte added.
Along with Senator Christopher Lawrence Go, the presidential son led the turnover of the PHP5-million calamity assistance to Malalag and PHP2 million to Padada.
They also distributed food packs to the earthquake victims and assisted by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
Extent of damage
About 1,250 families from the eight municipalities of Malalag town were displaced when the magnitude 6.9 earthquake hit the province on December 15.
Malalag Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (MSWDO) assistant Leah Frias said 487 of the displaced families from five barangays have been staying in five evacuation camps, while 763 families in three barangays are camping out near their homes.
The MSWDO report revealed that there are a total of 2,347 partially damaged houses and 111 totally damaged houses from all barangays in the municipality.
Marideth Regoner, 46, of Purok Talisay, Poblacion, Malalag said she came to the gymnasium, hoping that the visit of the President could ease their situation due to the series of earthquakes that hit the province last year.
“I and my husband have no money for the repair of our hut that was destroyed during the temblor,” said Regoner, who was with her five children.
On the other hand, some 7,421 families or 37,105 persons were affected in the 17 barangays of Padada.
Data from DSWD showed that there is only one evacuation center in Padada catering to 32 families or 110 persons.
About 3,331 houses were damaged, 347 of which were totally damaged while 2,964 were partially damaged.
DSWD’s total cost of assistance reached PHP2.85 million covering food and non-food items and crisis intervention unit. (PNA)

BASTE DUTERTE FILES BID FOR VICE MAYOR

baste inday

Presidential son Sebastian “Baste” Duterte filed his CoC on Monday for vice mayor making him the third Duterte running for office in the 2019 mid-term election.

Baste, 29, the President’s third child with his former wife Elizabeth Zimmerman, on Wednesday, Oct. 17, filed his certificate of candidacy for the vice mayoralty race.

Sebastian was accompanied by his sister and Mayor Sara Duterte in filing his COC at the city Comelec Office.

sara-hugponglogo

He will be his sister’s running mate under the Hugpong sa Tawong Lungsod-Hugpong ng Pagbabago. Also seeing action  in next year’s mid-term election is former Vice Mayor Paolo “Pulong” Duterte, who is running for congressman in the First District.

Sara earlier said Sebastian’s candidacy had been decided upon as early as March but he always changed his mind.

While he was quite popular because of his good looks and his being linked to some celebrities, Sebastian also made a name for himself with his surfing activities and his being a rock music vocalist.

He also hosted a travel program on a major TV network, which only aired once, and his Facebook page, @basteduterteofficial, page has 487,876 followers as of Sunday and liked by 486,612 people.

Sebastian’s plan for politics had been widely speculated about when he joined her sister’s regional party, Hugpong ng Pagbabago in April.

At one point, he was rumored to be running for mayor of Danao City in Cebu, his grandfather Vicente’s origin. The suspicion was raised when Sebastian reportedly bought a property there.

In August, Sebastian, 29, hinted that he might eventually run. However, he said that his inclination is not really politics.

“I wanted to avoid it as much as possible because politics is troublesome.
This thought has kept him away from actual engagement in politics, he said.

“Of the three of us (Elizabeth’s children), I was the only one who had no experience in politics except during the campaign for my father. It was the only exposure I got and I went back to what I usually do after that because it was not my cup of tea,” he added. (PNA)