Ooops!

PALACE CHIDES ALVAREZ

DUTERTE  TO DECIDE ON EXTENSION

Malacañang on Monday, July 10, stressed that the decision to extend martial law rests on President Rodrigo Duterte and not on House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez.

“Extending martial law is the decision of the President which PRRD said would rest on the assessment and the recommendation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other stakeholders of the Marawi situation,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement.

READ MORE

 

PALACE BACKS LAGMAN VS. ALVAREZ ON MARTIAL LAW EXTENSION

3DUTERTE SPEAKER

DUTERTE  TO DECIDE ON EXTENSION

SPEAKER TOLD: YOU ARE NOT THE PRESIDENT

BY ROGER M. BALANZA

Malacañang on Monday, July 10, stressed that the decision to extend martial law rests on President Rodrigo Duterte and not on House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez.

“Extending martial law is the decision of the President which PRRD said would rest on the assessment and the recommendation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other stakeholders of the Marawi situation,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement.

ABELLA 2

A veteran legislator has also chided Alvarez for encroaching into the powers of President Duterte by pushing for the extension of Martial Law to 2022.
Abella’s statement and and the reaction of Albay 1st District Representative Edcel Lagman followed remarks by Alvarez who said that he would push for a five-year extension of martial law.
“If I can convince my colleagues, I will push for an extension until 2022, because two months is too short. Five months or one year or two years is too short,” Alvarez said.
Duterte issued Proclamation No. 216 declaraing Martial Law in Mindanao on May 23 after terrorist groups attacked and occupied Marawi City in Lanao del Sur in western Mindanao..
Alvarez (1st District, Davao del Norte),  said on Saturday, July 9, that he would “push for an extension” of martial law up to 2022, at  the end of President’s term.
Alvarez made the statement ahead of July 22, when the 60-day constitutional limit of the proclamation expires.

LAGMAN ALVAREZ

To Lagman,  Alvarez, with his statement, was acting presidential, encroached into the powers of the President  and preempted the decision of Duterte on whether or not to extend Martial Law.
 Lagman said only the President, not Alvarez or other legislators, can “nitiate” the extension of Martial Law in Mndanao.
The Constitution requires that the President may initiate extension of the proclamation to be approved by the Senate and the House of Representatives in a joint session.
“Why are some senators and representatives talking about extending martial law in Mindanao when the President has not even officially initiated such extension?” said Lagman.
“Under the Constitution, while an extension needs the concurrence of the absolute majority of the members of the Congress voting in joint session, any such extension shall be upon the initiative of the President,” he added.
 The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said it is already finalizing its recommendations on the possible extension or lifting of martial law.
“It’s already being done and in a few days it will be submitted to the (Executive) Secretary for his consideration because he is the administrator of martial law. And that recommendation will make its way up to the Commander-in-Chief who will be provided an advance copy,” AFP Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Resituto Padilla Jr. said during the Mindanao Hour press briefing in Malacañang.
He said that the final assessment would be based on whether the rule of law as well as peace and security in most parts of Mindanao had been reestablished.
The AFP official likewise stressed however that whatever recommendations the military submit, the final decision is up to President Duterte.
“The Department of National Defense or the AFP could only recommend, pero ang eventual decision ay kinakailangang manggaling sa political leadership na merong mas malawak na pinag-iisipang o pinagbabatayan ng kanilang desisyon,” Padilla said. (Source: PNA, Rappler)

Bangsamoro Transition Commission to submit draft BBL to Duterte

btc bangsamoro
The Bangsamoro Transition Commission completed on Friday, 16 June 2017, its draft Bangsamoro Basic Law, and is now ready to submit it to President Rodrigo Duterte. Photo courtesy of BTC Facebook

The Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC) will submit its draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) to President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacanang on July 18, a month and two days after completing it and six days before the President delivers his second State of the Nation Address (SONA) where he is expected to certify the bill as urgent.

In a report in Mindanews, BTC chair Ghazali Jaafar said he does not know if the President will still review the draft as he had repeatedly said he would, or hand it over immediately to Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III and House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez on the same day it is submitted to him in Malacanang.

READ MORE

BBL

DUTERTE NETS RECORD-HIGH RATING IN SWS SURVEY

Malacañang on Friday said the ‘record high’ performance rating of President Rodrigo Duterte at the latest Social Weather Stations survey showed that a large majority of Filipinos supported the President’s actions following the rebellion in Marawi.

SWS“The survey result is a clear indication of the growing confidence in the Chief Executive and his performance as the country’s leader. The data collection concluded a month after PRRD placed the whole island of Mindanao under martial law shows tacit public support to the President’s action following the rebellion in Marawi,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said during the Mindanao Hour press briefing in Malacañang.
The Palace official said the show of public support further encourages the government in its efforts to clear Marawi City of remaining militants and hasten its rehabilitation to bring normalcy in the region.
“This positive acknowledgement of the Filipino people further motivates the administration to work for the restoration of normalcy in Marawi and to start its rehabilitation as well as bring a comfortable life for all Filipinos, including Muslim Filipinos,” Abella said.
In the latest SWS survey findings released Friday, President Duterte got a net satisfaction rating of +66, a new personal record high for Duterte after one year in office.
This is three points higher than the +63 net satisfaction rating that the President got in the first quarter of the year.
The opinion poll conducted June 23-26 showed that 78 percent of respondents were satisfied with the President’s performance compared to 12 percent dissatisfied and 10 percent undecided.
The survey was conducted one month after President Duterte placed the entire Mindanao under martial law and suspended the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus in the region after the Islamic-State-inspired Maute group, aided by foreign Islamist fighters and local extremists, laid siege to Marawi City in an attempt to establish an IS ‘wilayat’ or province in the capital of Lanao del Sur.
According to the SWS, the new record high rating was buoyed by increases in the Visayas and Luzon areas outside Metro Manila.
President Duterte’s net satisfaction rating rose by 11 points to an “excellent” +73 in the Visayas, from the “very good” +62 in March.
It stayed “very good” in “Balance Luzon”, rising seven points to +58 from +51.
Net rating in Mindanao stayed at “excellent” although it dropped 12 points to +75 from +87.
Meanwhile, the President’s net rating in Metro Manila stayed “very good” at +63 from +64 in March.
Across socioeconomic classes, net satisfaction rating remained “very good.”
Duterte’s net satisfaction rating was highest among class E respondents at +67, up seven points from the +60 last March.
Net satisfaction also rose to by three points among ABC respondents at +59 from +56, while net rating among class D respondents rose by two point at +66 from +64 in March. (PNA)

rtvmpna

BUSINESS, POLITICS, TOURISM, NEWS, DAVAO CITY, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES