Had direct control and supervision over the operation…until he was administratively relieved
Retired Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Oscar Albayalde was aware of the details of the November 2013 controversial anti-drug raid by his men who were tagged as ‘ninja cops’ in Pampanga, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) said Monday.
“He had direct control and supervision over the operation…until he was administratively relieved,” the CIDG said in its reply-affidavit signed by Lt. Col. Julius B. Sagandoy and Lt. Col. Dennis L. Wagas.
“Despite knowledge of the irregularities in the said operations, he remained mum and even applauded respondents Baloyo and his team for a job well done,” they added.
Albayalde was Pampanga police chief when Maj. Rodney Raymundo Louie Baloyo IV led the raid at the house rented by Johnson Lee located at Lot 21 and 22 Narra corner Waling Waling Streets, Woodbridge Subdivision, Lakeshore, Barangay Divisoria in Mexico town on November 29, 2013.
Albayalde was administratively relieved and placed on floating status from his post in March 2014, four months after the incident.
The CIDG pointed out that Baloyo’s team failed to comply with the “chain of custody” required by the law and “failed to immediately mark the seized illegal drugs”
“Respondent (Police General) Albayalde was fully informed about every detail that was happening during the raid, including, but not limited to the marked money, pre-arranged signal, suspects’ arrest and confiscation of suspected shabu placed in one open luggage and one medium size box.
“Albayalde was aware that the recovered shabu with an actual weight of 36.68 kilograms and the cash money were turned over to authorities,” the PNP-CIDG said.
Albayalde bowed out of the service on Friday after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government earlier said there is not enough proof to charge Albayalde administratively but said he is liable for command responsibility. (PNA)
ALBAYALDE RESIGNS AS PNP CHIEF
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde relinquished his post as he goes into non-duty status (NDS) effective Monday, October 14, barely more than three weeks before his mandatory retirement amid allegations dragging him into the reselling of seized illegal drugs.
He said his move aims to pave the way for President Rodrigo R. Duterte to choose the new PNP chief.
“After careful thought and deliberation, I have come to the decision to relinquish my post as Chief, PNP effective today and go on a non-duty status. I have submitted my letter of intent to Secretary Año which he accepted and favorably endorsed to the President,” Albayalde told PNP personnel during his speech at the flag-raising ceremony in Camp Crame on Monday.
“Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to talk to the SILG (Secretary of Interior and Local Government) Eduardo Año, about the events that have transpired in recent days, particularly the Senate investigation on the alleged “agaw-bato” issue in which I am being implicated,” he said.
Albayalde, who is set to retire on Nov. 8, was implicated in the issue of “ninja cops” or policemen involved in reselling illegal drugs.
He was the Pampanga provincial police director when 13 of his men were involved in an anti-illegal drug operation in November 2013 which was found to be irregular.
Albayalde has been in hot water in the past weeks after he allegedly intervened with the implementation of the dismissal order against the 13 cops which was investigated by the Senate justices committee. He repeatedly denied the accusations being thrown against him.
Año said Deputy Chief for Administration Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa will serve as the PNP’s officer-in-charge until such time that Duterte appoints Albayalde’s successor.
In a statement, Año said he endorsed Albayalde’s intent to Duterte on Sunday night which he said had been accepted.
He also commended Albayalde for his “selfless act in order to spare the PNP organization of the on-going controversy”.
“This will allow the PNP to move on and continue exercising its mandate of protecting and serving the people. I thank him for his dedicated and distinguished service as head of the PNP,” he said.
Año confirmed that Albayalde had been contemplating going on an NDS since last week.
“He had been contemplating that move since last week. He wrote a letter to the President and he formally submitted the letter to me last Saturday,” said Año in a radio interview.
Año also revealed that Gamboa, Lt. Gen. Camilo Pancratius Cascolan, who was named new Deputy Chief for Operations, and Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, who was named as Chief Directorial Staff, are candidates as next PNP chief.
“Gamboa, oo candidate nga siya (Yes, Gamboa is a candidate) but he is the most senior police official, kasama siya doon sa shortlist na isa-submit natin (he is included in the shortlist that we will submit also including) Gen. Cascolan, at (and) Maj. Gen. Eleazar pero baka tingnan natin baka meron pang idagdag ako, depende na lang within the week isa-submit ko ‘yan (but let’s see, we might add more, within the week I will submit the list),” Año said in a separate radio interview.
He said he would submit his recommendation letter on October 18.
In a press briefing in Camp Crame, Gamboa said that he would ensure the continuity of plans and projects.
“With this responsibility, I assure the continuous implementation of all ongoing campaign plans on internal security, anti-criminality, anti-illegal drugs and anti-corruption in line with national priorities and direction of President Rodrigo Duterte who is expected to appoint the 23rd Chief PNP in the coming days,” Gamboa said.
In a press conference at the Remington Hotel at New Port City, Pasay City on Sunday, July 4, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Director Oscar Albayalde identified the gunman as Jessie Carlos, Filipino, 43, separated and a former employee of the Department of Finance (DOF).
He is married to Jen Carlos. They have three children — one son and two daughters.
The suspect’s last known address is at 1663 Felix Huertas St. corner San Lazaro, Barangay 339, Zone 34, Sta. Cruz, Manila.
Carlos was dismissed from the service for issues on misdeclaration and non-disclosure of his Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net worth (SALN).
Albayalde added that “at 5:30 a.m. this morning (Sunday), members of his family arrived and sat down with our SITG (Special Investigation Task Group) investigators, after thorough review of details, photos, CCTV (closed-circuit television) footages, the family confirmed the identity of the perpetrator.”
According to his immediate family, his being hooked in casino gambling made him heavily indebted.
This became the cause of a misunderstanding between him, his wife and parents.
His bank account’s outstanding debt of PHP4 million and several other non-bank related debts prompted him to sell his Ford Ranger.
During the press conference, the gunman’s parents, Fernando Carlos and Teodora Carlos expressed their deepest sympathy to the families and friends of the victims and to the public in general.
“Today, we hope to have brought closure and peace to the bereaved families,” Albayalde said.
According to Albayalde, the wife of the gunman remained silent during the press conference as she was “depressed” while thinking about their three children aged, 17, 13, and 8.
Jessie’s wife also did not finish the press conference and hurriedly left the place.
“We also reiterate our prior statements that this is not an act of terrorism but this incident is confined to the act of one man alone as we have always said,” Albayalde said.
“We have and will continue to base our pronouncements on facts and evidence properly gathered,” he added.
“We will not allow people or any threat group to use this situation to advance their propaganda or personal causes whether foreign or local. This is our duty to the Filipino people and to the international community,” Albayalde said.
Albayalde added that the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), on April 3, 2017, barred Jessie Carlos from all casinos, including the Resorts World.
Likewise, the NCRPO chief urged the public not to spread false speculations connecting the incident to terroristic act.
“We ask for people to stop spreading false speculations linking this act to terrorism. Again, as we always maintained, this not an act of terrorism! Help us build peace here in our region by spreading only the truth,” Albayalde said.
“Moving forward, we will continue to investigate, we ensure to the families that we shall spare no one of any lapses committed during the incident,” he added. (Perfecto T. Raymundo/PNA)
ADVERTISING, BUSINESS, POLITICS, TOURISM, BREAKING NEWS